Pages

Monday, April 6, 2015

April 2015 > 1 -5 Running Days

April 1, 2015 @ 9:25 PM


Wk11 10 mile easy paced run Fargo marathon training. Rough day today and even tougher evening personal wise.

After I got all my shit together, decided to lace them up and go out for a run. Despite the +9C it was still very cool to me, granted I was wearing my merino wool top, vest, gloves and shorts. It's always my damn hands that start to fall apart and make things uncomfortable. Good thing I was wearing gloves or it would have been a horrible time and would have cut the run short. But I figured I'd go the 10 mile route with my head lamp and just run, easy paced for most of the way, finish strong then cool down mile home. Finally getting that cadence going.

16.06 kmDistance
5:45 min/kmAvg Pace
1,037 CCalories
1:32:26Time
8 mElev Gain
140 bpmAvg HR
151 bpmMax HR
183 spmAvg Cadence
198 spmMax Cadence

April 2, 2015 @ 6:01 PM


Wk11 feeling sick with cold.

Wk11 Fargo marathon training tempo run. My tempo felt more Adagio than Vivace. Meaning I was slow for my training paces mainly because I'm coming down with a cold and my body is aching all over. I thought going out for a run with CPR would've done the trick but it actually made it worse as I was struggling at the 5km turn in the woods so I decided to cut my run short a mile and start heading her back. Rest day tomorrow and then a 10km tune up race on Saturday. See how everything goes.

HR was too high for a tempo run.

8.76 kmDistance
5:52 min/kmAvg Pace
617 CCalories
51:20Time
7 mElev Gain
151 bpmAvg HR
193 bpmMax HR
183 spmAvg Cadence
204 spmMax Cadence

April 4, 2015 @ 9:00 AM - MEC 10 KM RACE


Treated this as a tune up race for Fargo marathon. I didn't blast out of the gate and just focused on getting myself into a rhythm. I programmed my Garmin to do the first km in between 5:00 - 5:10 then the next 4km 5:00 - 5:02/km and the last 5km 4:50 - 5:00/km.

What actually happened was a consistent 4:50 pace throughout the run. My Garmin was constantly buzzing me to remind me of this in the first 5km. I took the chance and kept at the pace and just trusted myself and all of the training I did over the past 3 months. 

The good thing about the course is the familiarity of the terrain so I was able to take advantage of when to up my tempo on the flats and when to take down the tempo and keep up the effort on the uphills. I was with a group of 4 runners and I was slowly breaking away from them bit by bit. At the last 3km it was just me and another runner and at the 7km mark I decided to make my move. Once we got to the turn into the duck pond, I used the downhill to launch myself ahead of him. I could tell he was trying to keep up with me (mostly from his breathing) I just told myself to relax and slowly start cranking my cadence. When I passed the bridge I turned the tempo even higher to build up a lead. 

When you make the turn to run in front of the Pavillion I took the foot off the pedal as you're going a slow uphill. Once I got past the Pavillion I picked up my pacing and told myself to hold and relax. At the 8km mark I'm now running in front of the Conservatory. I've already built up a significant lead, but I didn't want to get comfortable so I used this stretch to concentrate on my breathing and doing internal systems checks like my leg turnover, balanced forward posture and compact arm swing. When I saw the 1km marker at the formal gardens I went into CPR speed clinic mode. 

I thought about repeats we did over the winter and told myself that now was the time to go. I've done and practiced this many times over the past 2 years and just told myself to crank the tempo it's only 400 more metres. When I saw the finish chute I pushed hard to finish well. I couldn't have executed this any better. This is a great stepping stone and big improvement for everything that I've been working on the past 2 years.

10.01 kmDistance
4:52 min/kmAvg Pace
762 CCalories
48:48Time
11 mElev Gain
48:48Time
48:48Moving Time
188 spmAvg Cadence
210 spmMax Cadence

April 5, 2015 @ 3:49 PM

BS run. This was going to be an LSD, but that quickly changed to a recovery run then changed again to just quitsville. Think I'm just stressed because I have so little time to get in a long training run today, I had to rush out and start instead of my usual prep and then my left knee started to hurt and I knew something was very off when I noticed only my right glute was firing and I was compensating a lot for my left side. 

I think I could have pushed through but decided it wasn't worth  making things worse when I'm so close to the marathon. I'll roll out and recovery stretch and then I have a day off tomorrow. See how I feel for Tuesday. The other thing is...again, it's just so annoyingly cold. I could just NOT warm up. Doesn't help I'm still getting over this cold.

6.13 kmDistance
6:03 min/kmAvg Pace
397 CCalories
37:03Time
90 mElev Gain
129 bpmAvg HR
139 bpmMax HR
183 spmAvg Cadence
202 spmMax Cadence

No comments:

Post a Comment