Pages

Monday, March 24, 2014

Week 7 CPR Marathon training - Not good to close a pub and then LSD

We are starting to get into the heavy mileage weeks and I'm trying to be a lot more mindful of how I'm expending my energy and more importantly my concentration. My girls Maddy and Mack had their parent teacher interviews and I'm happy to report I have somewhat normal children. Yay me!

I'm getting my nutrition in order so I can drop a little more weight but still be able to manage my energy levels. (I'd like to be 155lbs a week before the race) I've been doing a lot of my runs on very little food as I'm trying to get my body acclimatized to using my fat as energy stores. I did have one cheat day...and hooooo...how I cheated...ok ok...I had two cheat days, honest.




March 18, 2014

Week 7 CPR Intervals
  • 175m at 3km pace followed by a recovery jog
  • 350m at 3km pace followed by a recovery jog
  • 525m at 3km pace followed by a recovery jog
  • 700m at 3km pace followed by a recovery jog
  • Repeat
  • recovery jog is back to starting point (each loop is 700m) 

I don't think I did what was said as we actually ran to cones that were interspersed between the distances noted. But I kept running at said 3km pace to the 525m cone and then just recovery jog to the 700m point. I'm sorry coach Dan...
Weather was actually 0C and the ground was mostly dry. I wasn't worried about my splits this time but I liked what I'm seeing with my cadence.


March 20, 2014

Week 7 CPR Tempo

Wasn't feeling too hot going into the run. Felt sick from eating at Applebees for lunch, of course Riblets and Chicken Fingers n' Fries basket, why else go eh? The weather was pleasant at -1C and I was wearing 1 top and my running jacket, forgot my hat so I let my hair flow. My buddy Osty didnt come this evening as he found out that he has bursitis on his left shoulder...poor guy. We started pretty quick off the hop and I wasn't sure if I was able to keep it going, because all that breading on those chicken fingers was playing havoc with my stomach, but surprisingly at the 6km mark I was feeling ok.

I didn't dare look at my watch until we got to the formal gardens, that's when I decided to break from Erick and Paul and was going to kick it up to stride lengths for the last mile. I got in a 5:20 min/km pace and I was red lining it as I got out of the formal gardens and realized it wasn't my cardio or any aches or pains that were bothersome, but the mental concentration to will you body to keep that pace going was what I realized I was dialing into. Started the run with Anita and Karen who just returned from Sochi, Russia to watch the Para-Olympics, Erick, Tyler and Paul.

This run ended up to be pretty good time-wise.


Split
Time
Distance
Avg Pace
Summary56:21.010.085:35
15:33.91.005:34
25:23.41.005:23
35:29.41.005:29
45:31.61.005:32
55:37.01.005:37
65:32.01.005:32
75:31.61.005:32
85:55.31.005:55
95:19.21.005:19
105:19.81.005:20
111:07.10.0912:40

March 22, 2014

Week 7 CPR LSD
Ok...so the night before I went out with my cousin for dinner. We did this tapas thing and had some pretty exotic type dishes (Braised lamb croquettes with seared vegatbles, wonton rabbit soup with Chinese herbs, Unagi and Foie...)the dining experience was fun but after dinner we headed to The Kings Head pub to down some beers and whiskey, because that's how you do it in the company of pretty women. We closed the bar down, I didn't get home until 3:30AM and got my dumbass up for 6:30 to get ready for the LSD.

Was not feeling this run. Yes it was cold -34C but surprisingly going down Oakdale was pleasant with the sun shining. I ran with Osty, Tyler, Anita, Travis, Tracey, Karen and coach Dan. There was a big split in the group at the 5km mark. I kept Osty and Tyler in my sites and did not catch up to them until we got into the forest. It was there I threw up, feeling dehydrated and just bone chilling cold. This was supposed to be the big 28km run but once we got to Assiniboine park formal gardens, I was done. I just did not have it in me to keep going. My legs felt leaden and I'm sure I could have sucked it up and gone for the whole distance but I really didn't want to risk getting hurt as I was shivering so badly from the wind. I'll live to run another day. Osty said it best, "Move on and run next week."

Also, shouldn't drink and run...oh well the foibles of being an old man. :)


The following week (week 8) the clinic will be doing this spring celebration week....

No comments:

Post a Comment