Pages

Monday, June 15, 2015

OTS and what it feels like to me

I've just managed to finish 3 weeks of running, but just barely. I learned from looking over my training log, that for the past 3 days I've been running too hard and I've pushed myself to my limits as I couldn't complete Sunday's LSD of a planned 13 miles. I only got just barely 4 miles in when I my legs just did not want to move. My left calve and both my achilles were just sore I can feel on the verge of a breakdown, so I just quit my run while I was just down Leila almost to the hospital and walked it home. Over Training Syndrome...OTS. UGH.

I'm actually very happy I did that because who knows what would have happened if I powered through. Well more likely a debilitating injury which would have left me on the shelf for a lot longer than I want or need to be.

Looking over my training log, I can tell exactly where I went wrong, but my ego got the better of me again and I decided to run for running's sake to keep a superficial streak alive when in reality my schedule conflict could not handle what my training plan had laid out.

Last Thursday, June 11, 2015 I headed out to City Park Runners and ran with the Thursday run club. It was a hot and humid day, but I was feeling really good and I know we normally run the Thursday runs at tempo. I was able to keep up with Lori, Geoff, Doug et al. who happen to be the more speedier group throughout the whole run. After the run I headed out to Assiniboine park to watch a friend of mine play ultimate frisbee.

It was Friday where I was just being an idiot. I felt great and was primed to head out in the evening, but I forgot I had my oldest daughter's year end dance recital. So after work, I attended that, and of course it ended late and after driving everyone home, it was already 10:00 PM and I didn't get out and start running by 10:20ish and I was in that anxious mindset to get the run done and over with because I had to get up early the next day to run with CPR for 8AM. I was already starting to strain close to the end of the run and forced myself to stop and walk the last block home to save my energy reserves.

Come Saturday morning, I get up for 6:30 AM after 5 hrs of sleep and ended up running another high tempo, high aerobic threshold run. It was hot and muggy and the last 2 miles, it was really starting to hurt over-extending myself to keep up with Dan and Phil. But what made the day worse, was when I got home, there was no rest as I had the girls with me this week and I had to do some driving to the bank and grocery shopping and then head out to a wedding to which we didn't get home until 11 PM and even though I passed out, I got woken up by my oldest for a ride home as she was at a friend's birthday party and it was 12:30. So my sleep was broken and it was hard to get relaxed and fall back asleep.

Then I decide to run again on Sunday and ended up with a fail.Too much on my plate as I'm also helping my sister prepare for a big move. I'm just feeling really worn out right now and will take Monday off and rest. As I actually don't even feel like running.


No comments:

Post a Comment