Pages

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Week 12 LSD - Start of the Taper


I'm very happy with this run. Despite starting the run late in the day, I felt I could've run another 5k but the temperature was dropping and my hands were cold and feet wet, good thing I wore gloves this time. By the time I got to the 22km it was -2C so I decided to call it quits and head for home, even though I did have gloves, I wasn't wearing a warm baselayer thinking the weather would hold, plus I wasn't wearing my warm compression socks, as I was experimenting with wearing these ankle cut ninja tabi socks that my cousin got me from the Daiso Japan store. The purpose of this run was to keep it to a consistent pace, I listened to my body and brain and let my legs run pace in the 6:30 range. My cadence was a consistent 90spm. I also experimented with gels, I took my first gel at the 14km mark which helped me greatly. No stomach problems.

I started to wane a bit at the 22km but picked it up at the last 2 to finish strong. I was well within my training pace of 5:50 - 6:39 for an LSD. I was discussing this run with Osty and he told me after his LSD that he was starting his taper for the Winnipeg Police Services run which is slated for May 5, 2013 which is 3 weeks from now. He pointed out this article that gives you the proper steps to tapering for your race. I'm glad I did manage to get in a long run before the taper. I'm also going to pick up some more gels and stinger chews for the race.

Equipment:
Hoorag
Nike pro combat baselayer (made for summer)
Patagonia fleece
Patagonia tights
Ninja tabi socks
Brooks Cadence
Cliff Shot Cranrazz flavor


Summary
Distance:24.67 km
Time:2:38:58
Avg Pace:6:27 min/km
Elevation Gain:21 m
Calories:1,840 C