Pages

Friday, April 5, 2013

Week 11 - 10k Tempo


Decided to do my training run out at Assiniboine Park where the MEC 10k race is being held April 7, 2013. Wanted to get familiar with the course and it's conditions. Needless to say with the very slow spring thaw, the road conditions are still very icy and muddy. I know I lost about a minute in time having to run up a snowbank in the zoo parking lot to avoid a huge puddle. Other than that, I felt really good going into the run. Ran with Osty's running clinic group for the first KM then headed out on my own. There were a lot of runners about and ran into a training group that was using the famous entrance loop to do laps around. 

The zen breathing technique has been a boon for me as I'm finding that just focusing on the breath and landing in time with each exhale on different foot has made a huge difference. I felt I was able to keep a steady pace going and I didn't feel exhausted after the run. I kept myself under control. I read this article in RunnersWorld and it was basically how runners are relying too much on 'high goal setting, heart-rate monitors, GPS systems, equivalent-performance, and the like...' So I went without HRM, but I kept my gps and footpod, I resisted the temptation to look at my watch for each lap and it made a world of difference. I just ran with the way my body was feeling...and when it wanted to 'slow' it was my mind that told my body that I can keep the course. I didn't run my PR but I did run really well and I'm happy with my progress. I know once the weather starts warming up and I'm wearing ideal running gear, I'm going to start motoring. 

Ran in a baselayer, Patagonia fleece top, Windbreaker, toque, gloves, Patagonia Tights and Brooks cadence. I'm going to go lighter dressed for the race.