Pages

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Week 10 - Day 3 LSD


Breaking the 20km barrier with this run and route. I didn't get a chance to run in the morning as I had to take Mackenzie to a gymnastics competition for 7:30 AM at UM and didn't finish until 11AM. I was still very tired from the night before and took a nap and by the time I finally got out for my run I thought the weather would hold.
But I was wrong to think that, I was wearing my cold weather tights, and spandex long sleeve baselayer followed by a Patagonia fleece lined long sleeve along with my sunglasses and hoo-rag and Mizuno's. The roads were still very ice patched with a lot of puddles to jump and the trail run at Kildonan park was just boggy.
Kildonan Trail behind the golf course
By the time I got to Chief Peguis bridge the wind started to pick up, the trail leading to the bridge had a lot of melting and the gravel was very moist and sticky already making my shoes and feet completely soaked. I was able to make my way to Henderson Hwy, the Chief Peguis trail run was fairly dry and the wind was at my back and it was still sunny, by the time I got to Lagimodiere Hwy the weather started to turn. It took me 1:28 to get to the 13km mark and as I was making my way back the weather turned.
If you look at the map where the big red box says 'You are Here' here is Lagimodiere Blvd which is 13km/8mi from home.
Not bad since I had to run up 3 hills with my feet soaked and I was feeling miserable.

 My hands were red from the cold and my stomach started to hurt. I think it was a combination of the Lara Energy bar and the mix of gatorade/water in one of my flasks that got my stomach all gurgly.The run back to the Kildonan trails was even more boggy, but maybe by then my feet were so soaked and cold I started to not care. I kept thinking to myself that I should call home and get picked up...but I also wanted to see if I was mentally tough enough to finish or just dumb...I started on the slippery slope of dumb.

This was the run back home going to Chief Peguis bridge. Every step I took into the ice broke through soaking my feet...blah.

Weather started to noticably drop on my way home. This is the Chief Peguis bridge west ward home and me forgetting to bring/wear gloves.

The run down Leila Ave was just as bad, as the whole sidewalk was just one big puddle or ice sheet having to make me run on people's lawns which were still piled thigh high of snow. I ended up basically walking the last 3-4 km's happy to be home fully soaked and miserable. I figure by next month, hopefully with all the snow melted away, I'll be able to run this same route with better times.   
On Leila Avenue, puddle jumping one too many times, slipping and falling 2km from home soaking my left side in a dirty puddle. Hands were red from the cold.